Our very own Goto meal.. ‘Pav Bhaji’ ..
Served at local street carts and also at high end restaurants ..
What was earlier a local Mumbai dish has now attained the position of a national dish ..
Enjoy the delicacy..
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1 cup onion grated /churned in mixer
- 3 cups Mixed vegetables(carrot, cauliflower,beans,etc) finely chopped/grated
- 1 cup finely chopped capsicum
- 1 cup or more mashed potatoes
- 4 tbsp Pav bhaji masala
- Oil to saute , butter – more the better
- Salt to taste
- Spring onion greens and coriander for garnish .
In a thick bottomed Pan , add oil/ghee. Saute onion until oil separates. Add all the vegetables and cook until tender. Add minimum water to cook vegetables. Add butter instead. Once vegetables are cooked add paw bhaji masala. Cook for 5 minutes.
Then add tomato purée and potatoes .. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add salt to taste .. Sprinkle spring onion and coriander for garnish. Bhaji is ready.
Brush butter and toast bread lightly on a Tawa. Serve with chopped onions and lemon wedge.
1.The whole process can be made quicker by pressure cooking the vegetables.
2. Use leftover bhaji to make masala Pav next day.
3. The Pav Bhaji mixture along with some peanuts, pomegranate seeds and dabeli masala can be used to make Dabeli.