It’s a Sunday, I open my refrigerator and find no veggies.. Some extra milk, leftover coconut from last evenings south-Indian dinner.. Some preserved peas too from last season..
Ahem .. What do I do??
Voila!! I am going to make a Pulao with coconut …
A friend named it Nariyal Saloni and I am totally in love with this unique name for this dish.. 🙂
I neatly arrange all the ingredients.. 🙂
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2 tsp shahi jeera( use normal if unavailable)
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 tsp arhar daal (it gives a nice crunch)
- 1 cup soaked rice, cooked with salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala/pulao masala
- 1/4tsp white pepper powder (add black if unavailable)
Let’s start making the easy peasy pulao now
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat ghee, fry cashews and raisins until light brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In the leftover ghee, add shahi jeera,cardamom, clove, cinnamon and arhar daal. Stir till dal is roasted. Turn the gas off.
- Immediately add slit chillies, curry leaves and crushed coconut. (We switch off the gas so the mixture doesn’t get burnt)
- Turn stove on. Add boiled peas,paneer,garam masala,pepper and cooled rice. Mix everything well. The rice is ready.
- Serve garnished with cashew, raisins and some grated coconut.
1. Make sure the rice is not very tender, and is cooled completely before making the pulao.
2. A good accompaniment to this rice is sambhar or kadhi.
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/abhiscookbook