It’s raining non-stop for the last 16 hours now…and I am enjoying the rainy evening with a bowl of hot soup and these home-made freshly baked ‘Garlic Bread Rolls’.. 🙂
I had planned on making these yesterday itself…the cold fermentation process required me to proof the dough for 24 hours but the result is totally worth the time and effort…there is a short cut too which would require me to ferment the dough for only a couple of hours by keeping it in a warm place.. but I have seen the difference in results.
I don’t get the sourness of yeast or the smell of it when its cold fermented and the rise is also much better.
this time around I experimented and made soup sticks with the same dough..the cluck cluck sound of the sticks made my heart sing…it was so perfectly baked.. 🙂
this idea of this recipe was taken from bharatzkitchen.. he had made garlic bread-sticks using cornmeal.. I have tried that…they turn out yum…but these garlic knots are something to crave for…
Ahh..now lets get set and cook…
- 500 gm all-purpose flour (maida)
- 8 grams fresh yeast / 4 gm dry active yeast
- 1.5 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 15 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp Olive oil for dough + 1 tbsp for kneading the dough
- 2 tbsp Melted butter for dough + 2 tbsp for brushing on top
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. Oregano seasoning
- 1 tsp Italian mixed herbs.
- Few parsley leaves chopped.
- In a container take the water. Add yeast, sugar and a spoon full of maida.
- Give it a stir and let the mixture sit for 10 mins until milky and frothy.
- Add olive oil, butter, salt, garlic, oregano, mixed herbs and some parsley to the yeast mixture.
- Add this mixture to 1/3rd of maida. Whisk.
- Now add the remaining maida and mix well to combine into a smooth dough.
- Pour olive oil on the table top and knead for 5-7 mins until gluten develops (stretchy feel)
- Oil a large bowl. Keep the dough in this bowl, covered with a plastic film for 24 hours in the refrigerator. (cold fermentation this is)
- After 24 hours, deflate the dough on the table top.
- Take small portions at a time. Shape it into buns, knots,bread sticks, soup sticks.
- Let it rest covered with a kitchen towel for another 10-15 mins.(it will rise again)
- In the meanwhile preheat the oven at 180 degree C.
- Bake the buns for 8-10 mins or until golden brown from base and top. Brush with remaining butter and parsley mixture.
- Serve warm but it can be served at room temperature too.
- Use the same dough to make bread sticks and serve with soup.
- Make your own pav bhaji buns at home by omitting the seasonings and garlic.
Recipe by: www.abhiscookbook.wordpress.com
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/abhiscookbook