It’s a weekday and I feel like cooking something exotic…can’t wait till the weekend to refurbish my supplies and then try..so I open my refrigerator and all I can see is a shining bottle gourd..ahhh!! What can I make with this…nothing exotic I thought..but then I remembered my mum had shared a nice hindi recipe book with me..paak pranali.. that’s where I got the idea to make ‘Bharwan Lauki’ ..
I was enthralled…and decided to add my own twist to the recipe provided..
Made the gravy for paneer butter masala …while serving I arranged the paneer stuffed lauki on it..the result was yum yum yum…
Here is the Recipe:
Ingredients for the Stuffed Lauki/Ghiya
- 1 bottle gourd (lauki)
- 1/2 cup grated paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1/2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tb. ghee
- salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients, except the bottle gourd, in a bowl and mix well. Keep the stuffing aside.
- Peel the bottle gourd and cut into 1/2″ thick slices. Carefully scoop out the center of each round so you have a clean circle.
- Steam the lauki for a couple of minutes. This enables complete cooking.
- Fill each ring with the paneer stuffing..
- In a non stick pan, heat the ghee and place each slice and cook till golden brown on both sides. Keep aside.
Ingredients for Gravy: (To be ground into paste)
- 2 large onions
- 1 large tomato
- 10-15 Cashew
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 tb. Sp. curd
Boil all the above ingredients except curd. Strain the boiled mixture. Cool it. Add curd and grind it to a fine paste.
Ingredients for tempering and serving:
- Ghee 2 tb. Sp
- Cinnamon 1 inch
- Cardamom 3-4
- Cloves – 2-3
- Fresh cream 3 tb. Sp.
- Salt and sugar to taste
Heat ghee. Add cinnamon , cardamom, cloves and fry for a few seconds. Add the ground paste and let it simmer until ghee separates. At this stage add salt, sugar and cream. Add half cup or less water depending on the consistency you want and boil the gravy for further two minutes. Keep it aside.
To Serve :
Pour the gravy in a dish.arrange the stuffed lauki and serve hot with naan, parantha or phulka.
- Same gravy can be used to make paneer butter masala. Just add cubed malai paneer before serving.
- Lauki can be served with kadhi instead of the heavy gravy.
- Stuffing of the lauki can be as per your taste and preference.
Recipe by: www.abhiscookbook.wordpress.com
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/abhiscookbook