The festive season just got over..Was eating out so often, my tummy was pleading for a break. This afternoon i thought of going light on it. All i could think of was this bland yet totally satiating meal in a bowl, CURD RICE.
The Indian version of the Italian risotto, a friend of mine commented. I could only smile and agree. While it can be prepared in a jiffy with only mixing rice and curd in a bowl, i prefer mine with some tempering and seasoning.
Here goes a very simple recipe which you can never go wrong with. Serve with mix/mango pickle. And did i mention curd rice is best served COLD. Some people actually leave it overnight in the refrigerator and use it as a tiffin meal. Quick fix!!!
- 3 cups- Boiled rice(overcooked, no problem)
- 2 cups- curd
- ½ cup – milk
- 1 tsp- oil for tempering
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp safed urad dal
- 2 green chillies chopped finely
- 1 inch grated ginger
- ¼ tsp hing
- 10-12 curry leaves
- A few sprigs coriander for garnish
- Salt to taste
In a large bowl mix together rice, curd and milk. Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds. Wait till it splutters. add urad dal and fry till it is slightly roasted. Add chillies, ginger, hing and curry leaves. Remove from heat. Add the tempering and salt to the curd rice mixture and mix properly. Chill for atleast 2 hours.
In the serving plate, pour the mixture and garnish with coriander leaves.
- You may add boiled sautéed vegetables to the curd rice.
- Milk helps in removing the sourness of the curd, also improves the texture of the dish.
- Add raisins, fried cashews, grated carrot. Be creative with garnishing.